Thanks for the input. My pond has a good 1-1/2 to 1 slope, or less, all the way around so I have very little water at 3 feet or less. If I can get a good bloom, I shouldn't have any weed or grass problems. I will be filling over the winter so I should be able to establish some green by late spring. As for depth, a general recreation pond not used for growing something to sell doesn't add any value if you go beyond 7 or 8 feet deep, at least in this part of south Louisiana. Down here, 40 miles from the Gulf, a deeper pond than this will tend to form a dead layer on the bottom starting in mid-summer. Then you have the potential problems of the bottom turning over, you need more "scientific" aeration monitoring requirements, frequent water testing, etc. Kinda takes the fun out of it. I have a 10" pipe for my overflow and it extends all the way to the center deepest part of the pond so that with excess rainfall or overfilling, I will be draining off my potentially "bad" water first. My well is 4 inches in diameter with a high volume submersible pump. It is in the same zone that the drinking water comes from so it should be relatively free of surface contaminants. So me and the fish will be drinking the same water. From what I've experienced, the most important thing to establish first is a good bloom. My neighbors with ponds similar to mine were able to do this and they have had great results. Little or no grass, good fish production, and minimal fertilization/management requirements. Keep those cards and letters comin, and thanks again.
Ken