Quote:
This site is a godsend to a novice like myself.
And also, I think, to experts, and for sure to know-just-enough-to-be-dangerous types like myself. \:D

Quote:
As a matter of fact I do have an Uncle just outside of Knoxville and dear friends in Nashville.
We have a "Politically Incorrect" (his handle) Robinson here from TN. One of our cast of favorites.

Quote:
I did a Google search for pond hatcheries and the best one I came up with is in the Cincinnati area code area. Minimum $150 order delivered live in Ohio. If I ordered 3 times BG + FH; YP; then LMB that gets kinda pricey but I could live with it spread out over time. If I transfer some of my BG and can get minnows locally that would save a big expense.
This sounds like Jones Fish; they did my stocking (2 orders, 3 separate trips, I and have been happy with them and the fish they sold me.

Quote:
I think I can identify the BG. I will look over the greenies online to see if I can tell the difference.

Can I go to the local bait store and buy minnows? Or should they come from a more formal source? Are there perhaps any closer to me? - I live half way between Cleveland and Erie PA. Can consumers get fish from Ohio DNR?
I would worry more about wild or bait store minnows than about BG I'd identify myself. There are dozens (or more) species of minnnows, chubs, suckers, shiners, and finned phantasmagoria that you could get with bait minnows, plus fingerling common carp, etc. that happen to be the same size. IIRC ODNR has not provided fish for private ponds for a LONG time - way before I started pondmeistering.

There are some very useful fish ID threads here, with lots of photos, penned by those of us who like to smell a sunfish and guess what % of his genes came from a GSF. (HEY EWEST, REMEMBER ANY GOOD LINKS?). If you can successful transfer BG and BG only, perhaps you could do your purchasing in two steps: 1) FH minnows and RES, and then, later 2) LMB/HSB. It's something to think about and have forum members kick around or apart.

Quote:
Another question - just to make sure - I am assuming it would be unwise to pump stream water into the pond to fill it more quickly. There is I think about 6 feet in the pond now with about 4 feet to go. The stream is running nicely 25 feet away.
Dam straight. The stream water has the same potential problems as wild minnow aquisition. I bet you will be full by the end of Spring; we don't seem to have rainfall variation problems in Ohio to the same extent many other states do (my 46 year experience on Buckeye weather).

Quote:
Does it matter how deep I install structure for the fish? I have been putting it on the sloped sides of the embankement where the water will go from shore about 1/2 way down to the bottom - thinking the water would be no more than 6 feet deep where the structure is, and would be with or near vegetation. Would additonal structure in the deeper water be productive? There is one area that could reach 12 feet deep but most is 8-10'.
My views on structure placement are pretty close to yours, but I suggest you just go to "Creating Habitat" and read a lot of threads on structure. You will find many varied and good ideas and opinions there.

Quote:
I will add some RES when I get my first fish order. I am considering HSB also at the time I get the LMB. Just for something different, a fighter, and to see how they taste.
I love my RES. We have one HSB (the only mistake Jones Fish made with our stockers, and a happy one for us) and he has outpaced the LMB in growth since day one. I will be adding more HSB to my pond in the fairly near future.

Quote:
speaking of taste - how do Channnel Cats taste? I was not going to introduce them but like I said, sacrifices have to be made.
They taste just like chicken! :p

Seriously, they taste different from BG or LMB or Walleye or Northern Pike or ... Go to the grocery store and buy some catfish fillets (NOT "catfish nuggets" - those are belly meat and it is tougher and fishier tasting IMHO than the fillets) and see how you like them. I don't like CC as well as BG, but my kids like it about the same. We had a thread here a year or two ago with posters' favorite CC recipes - mine is my wife's Cajun Grilled Catfish.

CC are easy to clean once you learn to nail their heads to a board or tree before you skin them. IF you decide to get CC, go easy on their numbers (I'd recommend no more than 50/acre in a mixed species pond). They can get quite big, some people have trouble removing them, and they are the cheapest fish to order in large sizes for restocking in an established pond with full-size predators.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]