Sue,

Pond bacteria have been given several endearing names over the years:

- BUGS (or Bacteria Under Guided Supervision)
- Beneficial Pond Microbes
- Pond Enzymes
- Fill in the blank

Many of our clients use pond microbes for one reason or another: "feel-good" environmentally friendly way to improve water quality, reduce excess nutrients, reduce organic bottom sludge, reduce odors from anaerobic activity (hydrogen sulfide gas), etc.

We private label two different forms of pond bacteria, but both forms consist of the same bacteria formulation. The products achieve the same result but over different periods of time.

BUGS are somewhat mysterious, but have mostly been proven with results from the use in wastewater treatment, oil exploration sites the grease trap business, etc.

We have been providing clients our two forms of BUGS for the last 4 years with varied results. One case I can think of is a municipal client of ours that has been using our products in their 8 or so different ponds for about 3 years. They have reported (and I have personally seen) the positive results of their continued use. Besides some of the ancillary benefits, one of the largest benefits has been the reduction and almost complete elimination of all organic bottom sediments that have accumulated over the last 20 to 30 years. The noticeable change is indescribable.

In any event, whether you believe in the use of BUGS or not, here are the facts about these products we've gathered over the last 4 years (because to tell you the truth, I was skeptical from the beginning...now, 4 years later, I believe they can benefit SOME (the right) ponds).

FACTS:
- although most marketers claim their product is "proprietary", the fact is there are only a few fermenters in the business supplying and manufacturing the bacteria. Most claim their product is proprietary because they don't want to spend the money and effort needed to patent their product and make it "unique".

- almost all (including PondMedics) of the retail sellers of bacteria products are just private labelers. Bacteria manufacturers sell similar products to many marketers and slap their label on it. I am pretty sure that the same company that makes our microbes is the same company that makes the microbes for the company in California in Bob's aforementioned comment. (I'd have to ask my manufacturer, but I think this is correct).

- no matter how many strains of bacillus one "claims" to have in their formulation, only 4 to 7 of these BT strains do most of the work in metabolizing excess nutrients.

- any product that claims to have "anaerobic" bacteria is misleading you. Those microbes they claim to be anaerobic cannot be stored and applied without being exposed to oxygen at one time or another. The bacillus strains they claim are "anaerobic" are actually "facultative" meaning they do their job in both aerobic AND anaerobic environments. The aerobic BT strains are the ones doing most of the work metabolizing nutrients anyway.

- there are no microbes on the market today (to our knowledge) that have registered their product with the EPA. All products with pesticidal claims, must have registered their product with the EPA in order to make such claims. This is a lengthy and expensive proposition. However, you would think it would be more popular due to all of the "proprietary formulations". Therefore, since none of these microbial products have an EPA registration, they cannot make implied or explicit claims that their product is an "herbicide" or, more specifically, an "algaecide". If they do so, they are in violation of the EPA regulations.

- there are a few companies out there claiming their "proprietary microbe blends" work in water temps of any range. Although some BT strains have a metabolic rate under water temps of 55 F, the activity is not such that the bacillus would metabolize nutrients at a rate sufficient of significant water quality improvement.

- microbe product efficacy is measured in CFU's or Colony Forming Units. Most products do not provide this information, but it can vary widely among products. Liquid formulations typically have the lowest CFU's per unit of product.

- dry microbe formulations have a higher CFU concentration and a longer shelf life. Dry formulations are cheaper to ship and less expensive to make.

- microbes (CFU's) sold in "water soluble packet" formulations do not contain most of the BT strains in the "carrier" or what's inside the packet, however the microbes are sprayed on the outside of the water soluble packet (giving them a distinct smell).

A couple of other things we've learned about microbes:

- they are not for every pond. Some ponds are too big to be cost effective. Some pond's water chemistries are not preferred habitats for thriving microbe populations.

- they take time to see results. Continued, consistent use will produce the best results. Intermittent and sporadic use will not yield desired results. Remember, these are Class 1 organisms and a natural remedy...you can't undo 10 or 20 years of nature's work in just a few weeks or months. Most of our clients use the products for at least one year before they see desired results.

- microbes are popular among do-it-yourselfers because it is not a herbicide and it is a "feel good" product (the same reason one might use an organic product for pest control in the home).

- microbes are cheap to make and expensive to package. i.e. you are mostly paying for the packaging. Therefore, buyer beware...don't pay too much for your favorite microbe blends because everyone is using all the same strains of bacillus to get the job done!

Hope this information is helpful and unbiased!

BTW...remember I don't make these products, nor do I claim to know everything there is to know about beneficial pond microbes. I wanted to just attempt to share with you what we've learned about them in the last several years. I would love to learn more about what other professionals using them have gained in their experience.