EWEST, I can understand migrating up rivers over a couple of months period; then returning to the big water of lakes after spawning. And, I have fished from some of those river camps in the early Spring.

I think and question more in terms of creeks and the water temps in those relatively shallow waters. When the upstream spawning migration starts, the fish move upstream and stack up at shallow or obstructed places. Due to hostile water temps, this genetic disposition appears very premature to me. I have caught them in less than one ft. of water with air temps in the teens. In those days, I wasn't curious about actual water temps.

My only thought has to do with Texas waters. If someone has experience in other States, I hope they will chime in.

Sand/white bass are found in virtually every public lake in the state. However, there is only one natural lake in this state. All of the rest are created for power generation and municipal usage and consumption. I'm sure there are more dammed creeks than rivers. Darn near every city has a municipal lake. That tells me that every naturally occuring fish in the state started out as a creek or river fish. As the only native fish that spawns in running water, I guess they follow their genetic disposition to look for running water to spawn. In the absence of a creek or river offering an inflow, they have adapted to spawn on windswept sides of lakes. Striped bass, though not native, seem to stack up below dams on rivers in the Spring. I wonder about their cross; the HSB.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP