In my case my well for the house would not have produced enough water for both the Geo and normal water useage. The cost for an additional well exceeded the cost of the loop. Only by about $300+additional electric lines. The rep also said it was cheaper to circulate water as opposed to pumping water 1 way. Keeping the pond fuller and the ability to add aeration are definitely attractive benefits of an open loop system. I'd be interested in finding out if the efficiency increase outweighs the cost of pumping. If my loop were to fail I will seriously reconsider the open loop system.

Sounds like Chip has the same rusty water up in Lima as we do. I'm interested in answers about mineral build up but I never heard of anyone in my area's pipes clogging due to mineral build up before it gets to the softener. I let my softener in a house I lived in up the road run out of salt once and it turned my shower bright orange in just a couple of days. Took some nasty chemicals to remove the stains.

Seems like we're raising more questions than answers. I'm surpised their isn't an HVAC expert that is also a PB member.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking