Mr Freeze...
....so darn glad that you decided to jump in on the forum. I am in the midst of a 5a pond in the midwest that will have a retirement home built next to it in about 4 years or so. I am twistin' my brain and relying heavily on this forum to prepare and execute all the smart stuff before the hole fills up. We cut in a driveway and cleared an opening in the forest this year for the project and plan to bottomscape and build the dam next summer/fall.
I am very hands-on and have always been intrigued by geothermal heat pumps. I have a buncha questions, but my focus is mostly on the preparation related to the near term. I love the idea of the snow fence and cinderblock idea. Considering my project and knowing that the building site will be about 100 ft p/m from the waterline, what would you do to prepare? I envision laying a mat of pipes in the bottom and running the supply and return ends back up thru the soil below the frost line to the approx area of the home. Then, maybe cap the ends and bury them with a marker? Will the field be a floating problem? How do the pros run the supply/return? Are there multiple supply/returns for different zones in case one fails?