Ric, Greg, ewest and Deb,

I appreciate your comments and suggestions. For the moment lets assume my values are exactly as Deb had posted (these are very similar to what was tested locally) I will re-test the water after we receive more rain:

pH = 7.0
Total Hardness= 17
Total Alkalinity= 17
Total Ammonia= 1.2 ppm

Greg’s comment - “IMHO the main reaons for liming is to raise alkalinity so fertilizer (phosphorus) is more readily avail for phytoplankton produciton. Lime has other minimial side benefits. If not fertilizing I would not spend the time/money to lime.”

This comment very closely matches the advice I was given by my local contact and I am assuming for the same reasons.

Given my measurements above and knowing I do NOT plan to fertilize – do I need to raise the TH/TA to 20+?

BTW, I am not opposed to adding lime (as a point of reference I did apply Ag Lime to my large lake) to the test pond. I am seeking to understand the pluses and minuses of doing so…

ric,

On this issue of why I do not plan to fertilize: I think it complicates the mangement of your pond (based on forum discussions) and feel my experience level + lack of knowledge puts me at a disadvantage for trying it on the GG test pond. I also have a basic belief that more is not always better. Honestly I have not spent enough time studying the pros and cons of a fertilization program to see if it is right for me.

Gator

- Smoke 'em if you got 'em

[Linked Image from i4.photobucket.com]