Thank you, but my limited experience in this field has all been with my current employer. There is such a vast amount of learning to be had and shared on this forum, I am not sure what I could offer. With almost every post I read (things other than GG related of course), I find myself either agreeing with what someone has just said, or asking myself the same question that was posted. I may however try a few on for size ;\) .

This is how I see things to date (we might need to get a new thread going once this project starts so no one [including myself] will get lost). We have been discussing doing experiments with the GG bream in two different ponds in Texas (for any persons who have not kept up). ML will go with GG and HSB and use his expertise and experience to raise this pond. Gator will go with GG and LMB and follow most of the recommendations our hatchery has.

ML- I have returned your email. Do not hesitate to email again or call if you have any questions. We are in this together!

Gator- Sorry about the school lunch ordeal. Your water must be pretty clear. As for the aerator debate:

110 volt and 220 volt are the same price. Both are ½ horsepower units that perform well. There is however a few differences we need to discuss.
QUESTION #1- How far is your power source (meter box) from the outlet where you will plug in the aerator? I ask this because if your plug in site is 100 feet or more from your meter box, I am afraid you will have too much of a pull on the 110 unit. There could be quite a distance for the power to travel. On the other hand if you are closer than 100 feet you should be fine.
Electrical - 110 unit pulls 6.8-6.9 amps on start up whereas the 220 only pulls about 3.6 on start up. Both units come with 50 foot of submersible cord, but the 220 will not have a plug on the end (just bare wire). There is such a variety of male to female plugs for the 220 volt, that we leave the connection up to the homeowner. Not a hard job, and it does not cost much, but I want to give you as many facts as I can.
Personally I do not think the 220 will be overkill by any means. When it comes to DO levels, especially since your pond is low right now (and the weather is unpredictable), I think that “the more the better” would apply in your situation. Keep in mind both units cost the same, so the decision should not be based on the $ factor.

1. We will reduce the number of fish, and increase the size (if you wish too).
2. Leave the dye out of the equation, and we can re-evaluate in the spring.
3. The BOM does not kill bugs, but it instead provides a live protein source at night for the fish. It is our “sadist” bug light (cuts off arms or legs wounding the bugs so they drop into the water and wiggle around). It runs off 110 volt and is a good investment if you want to go that route (free food).

We generally only run our truck twice a year into Texas (spring and fall), so I would like to get these to you in November with ML’s load (to do a true growth comparison). Otherwise it will be March or April before we return to your area. You however know your pond and your finances better than anyone, so go with whatever is comfortable to you.

QUESTION #2- Do you have access to the Gambusia minnows or do I need to bring some? I can bring you 1000 for .10 each if you need me too.

I am still ½ asleep from this past week, so if I am forgetting anything please let me know.

Thanks,

Deb

Do fish actually kiss?