Very well stated! The M & M analogy is a perfect comparison. You are right to point out that we all get caught up (or mixed up) in the verbiage we use to describe hybrids. This being said, I do not agree that eighth generation GG’s are not called GG’s. I promise you there is no mind game here, but it just stands to reason that they would still be titled that due to the lineage. One could name each generation different, but I do not see the purpose behind that. Take your candy analogy. Once you have mixed the bag of M & M’s several times, do you still have M & M’s? Or have you made a new candy treat? It does need to be explained that the subsequent generations are different from the parents, with the traits and appearances of each generation being less likely to predict (and less desirable). Calling for predators? Eradicate the subsequent generations, and the discussion is null. Our main goal with the GG was to create a bream sportsman’s dream (not to mention a child’s). In any hybrid the first generation will far outweigh any subsequent ones due to the controlled environment in which they were “made.”
I believe you have a very good grasp on the genetic’s concept, but I do not agree that the offspring would not fall under the same name. If I am wrong, then what should we call them? The possibilities would be endless due the uncontrolled environment they would be in. Throw a few other types of bream in a GG pond, and someone could spend a lifetime identifying each offspring and naming it solely on its individual traits. In summary we just keep it as a “cluster” name due to original parentage. Kind of following the KISS theory. :p

If I am not making any sense, it might be due to MY offspring (two ½ years) who keeps crawling around underneath my legs and over my lap ( trying to type in his two cents worth ). I do not think that is a trait he inherited from me.

As for the green’s in the GG mix, I will have to ask Ken. I really do not know. That is a secret he keeps well hidden obviously because no one has been able to duplicate the fish to date.

Thank you also to the gentleman who provided the link to the Ohio research department. This will indeed be a good study to follow, as all the fish will be controlled. This in turn will give us a very accurate take on the true comparisons of the different fish under study.

Deb

Do fish actually kiss?