Food for thought:

I understand the doubts that have been placed on board both in the current threads and of those past, but has anyone on this board actually bought our fish and followed or program (water chemistry included) “by the book”. I stopped Ken early this morning as I arrived for work, and discussed with him the many issues that are being brought forth. I am printing off all of the threads and responses for him to review, and then I will post his responses accordingly.
That being said, he brought out several points to me as we stood outside the office this morning. Ken graduated from UGA under the same program type that Greg and many others were under. The difference was that he did it over 40 years ago (program name was different, but many classes were ths same). In other words, the state has not changed their teachings. This could be because it works or because of habit. Anyway, Ken has spent the past 40 some odd years experimenting and improving on techniques and applications both with the fish themselves and with improving water quality and conditions in order to get maximum growth. Several references have been made that Ken is basically out there just to make a quick buck. But if that was truly the case, why would we practice the same procedures on all of our ponds. It must truly be more cost effective to us to “practice what we preach”. Not too many people can say they continually maintain 50 plus ponds on a single 1500 acre plot. Some ponds are experimental, some for fingerlings, some for adults (for the genetic pooling that comprises the GG), some for fish out, and at least one (behind the office that is a “catch all”. This particular pond has not been drained for 20 years, and it catches anything that escapes the hatchery and loading (pickup) dock. Yet all of these ponds are highly productive. And all are based on “the program” that we recommend to customers and potential clients. All ponds are feed, aerated, dyed, and limed (according to pH only). We use calcium and bufferin for hardness and alkalinity levels, and measure these by gpg. No we do not have to continuously add these two products, as they have a POTENTIAL life span of ag lime, but with more benefits. Hydrated lime on the other hand is only recommended at 25 lbs per acre per week to raise pH if needed. Granted hydrated lime has a much shorter life span, but the growing season is not year long. We stopped using ag lime years ago when we discovered that these products listed above were more cost effective, lasted long term, grew above quality fish, and did not need the constant “management” that other products needed.
Now, Ken’s Hatchery and Fish Farm does not specialize in pond management, where as a lot of forum members derive their sole income from this one practice. I understand there is a need for this work out there, and am by no means poking light at what you do. It is a very big part of the equation. We do have a sub-contractor who handles some pond management for the customer's that request it. So it could be said that it would actually be to the economic advantage of a person in that field to design a plan for a pond that would require the “expert’s” maintenance program versus a simple plan that would allow a customer with limited knowledge in the field to “handle things on their own”. Again I will state that I do see the need for professional pond managers, but not every pondowner needs them, wants them, or can afford them. That is the "niche" we fill (as some would say).
I am sure this post will tick quite a few people off, but I promise that is not the intention. I am simply posing questions that need to be asked. As I have stated many times prior, I am still a fledgling in the fishery field, so I will rely on the experiences of others as well as my own research before I can start passing out my personal recommendations. The argument I am proposing is this; We have done it both ways. Have any of you? Comments before were made about having to go behind and “clean up” after us, but this is merely hearsay. Until one individual uses trial and error with BOTH programs, a true educational comparative analysis can not be given in regards to the way we operate. As Ken stated to me this morning, “I spent a lot of years doing it wrong, and am comfortable that I am on the right track now. But mind you I am still learning”. I think this last statement can apply to all of us. The minute we close our minds to the potential changes that can be implemented in this field, is the minute we become self indulgent “omnipotent” lecturers who have a long term benefit for no one.

Boy I bet I just opened Pandora’s Box!!!

Deb

Do fish actually kiss?