Eastland,
Interesting observations. I believe most animals if not all can be conditioned to react according to what their environment allows or dictates. When we control their environment we can influence their behavior/reactions.

I would bet that if your aquarium raised fish had only ever seen crickets they would have a similar reaction to an infrequent presentation of pellets.

I believe fish react primarily on instinct. (They don't have advanced brains) The aquarium raised fish instinctively investigate the crickets but are conditioned to pellets while the pond raised fish are accustomed to seeing a versatile diet presented & instinctively take advantage.

I further believe that the act of BG feeding, for instance, which have been conditioned to eating pellets, stimulates LMB to feed on the BG with the most aggressive LMB being first at the trough.

In summary, I don't think feeding ones fish will have an adverse effect on aggressive behaviors & for me at least is reinforced with the experience Greg G. has seen with the ponds he manages where LMB are more aggressive & more easily caught in ponds that have feeders.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric