I have a folder that I keep of really good posts. I've printed this one and will keep it. It is a great explanation about why too much aeration up North results in fish kills.

It brings about a thought/question/theory. In lieu of aeration, could a submersible pump with the outlet pointed toward the surface also help eliminate the differential and assist with aeration? I expect it would depend on factors like pump pressure or HP, depth of pond and pump placement, pond location (Yankee Land or Redneck Country), and other factors. It seems like it would work. If so, a pump in the upper 4 ft. of water pushing warmer, oxygenated water to the bottom should also effectively mix everything for a certain area. Since the warmer water would always be rising and the colder water always trying to drop, continued thermal circulation should occur. The only differential would be the loss of the oxygen bubbles.

It also brings about another question. I know the planktons can't survive their fall to the bottom. Can the bottom dwelling bacteria (the real pond cleanup crew) survive their trip to the surface?