Ric, I agree. Frankly, for myself, if I don't have live bait while at my pond, I may or may not throw out a minnow trap. More likely, I will revert to watching fish or doing other tasks that need to be done. Understand that I have a full arsenal of artificials on me at all times; I just don't care to fish them.

So as ML says, he can catch these "lockjaw" LMB if he chooses to go with live bait.

I think this is an important point, or underlying assumption, that needs to be brought out to forum newcomers. More specifically the context behind our own goals.

For ML, as an avid fly fisherman, he is deeply concerned that one of his specific ponds is not producing for him in a way that suits/satisfies him (being able to catch fish on flys).

In Pat's case, I'm not sure we know what kind of fishing he does (live bait vs. artificials), but in the case of a new pond owner who is trying to get a grip on his/her fish population, we need to suggest that they also fish extensively with live bait to get a real picture of what they have in their pond.

Again in Pat's case, he has the electro-shock survey that shows that there are some bigger LMB in his pond. If Pat's goal is trophy LMB, as I think he mentioned somewhere, then he is really not that far off from getting on a direct path to his goals. Bolstering the forage base, culling, etc. are all things that he needs to start doing.

I think ewest's comment about info. and hard work etc., is really right on the money.

Also ML, I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, just doing some light paraphrasing.

We all have some different context for our goals. For me, I could care less if any fish in my pond would or would not bite on an artificial. I would be leaving mounds of sadness everywhere if I couldn't catch any of my fish on live bait though. My brother who is a co-owner of my (our) pond is different; he only fly fishes, but he does catch fish.

Again, ML, paraphrasing for you, I think a fishery would be inadequate (or a failure) to you if you couldn't successfully catch fish on flys.

All right then. That's enough from me now.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."