Originally Posted by canyoncreek
Starting to worry that we won't have a toad gathering (a toad-stock concert) at our pond this year. It seems as Mr. Cody says that right after YP eggs are laid, the American Toads start their chorus and then from far and wide they all find their way to our pond. I'm sure this has to happen every year regardless of COVID lockdowns and the rising inflations rates. This year has been odd. I saw zero YP eggs for the first time in 10 years (I suspect our Pekin duck which survived the critter that wrung the neck of his lifelong partner) is to blame for vacuuming up the eggs? No other reason why we would have zero visible ribbons when we caught some egg-laden females a few weeks prior.

Then as of yet we have zero toads in the pond. Anyone else who usually has toads in their pond have a late season or maybe it is too cold here at night for our toads? I saw the Ohio pond member posting that the event went on as scheduled in his pond so that is heartening.

CC-
Here in central Iowa, I am only hearing our brown choral frogs (aka "spring peepers") so far. No toad trilling yet. I have documented many things about our pond, but will have to add 'first heard frogs singing/toad trilling' to the list. As it was everywhere this spring, really odd and early spring. Pond was ice free by Feb 8th, which is a solid 30 days early. It was highly variable for weather and temps since then, with several days of skim ice on and off, some flurries and cold temps and a few unusually hot days peppered in. My WAG is the temperatures are playing a role, but the photoperiod will remain key. When the days get long enough, and the water temps consistently warm enough, the American toads will begin the spring symphony.

"Politics": derived from 'poly' meaning many, and 'tics' meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.