Hi Paul, welcome to the Oak Prairie. Our place is one county to the West in Lee Co. There are some good resources in the area. We put our pond in last Aug and have had a blast. We had some fine dirt pushers help with the process and I can get you their info if you want it. Another topic, is your potential property under Ag exemption now? If so and you don't want to run cows - very difficult with that size of place and they need more attention that just weekend visits - Investigate a subchapter of Ag called Wildlife Management (1-d-1), (all info on Texas Parks & Wildlife website). You basically do good things for the land and animals that poplulate your land and you get to keep the huge tax benifits (plus, it is really good for the soul). I don't know the Parks & Wildlife Biologist for that county, but I can get the info from ours. They are very helpful and have a wealth of resources at their disposal. Having them walk the land with you before you buy might be a good idea. They have a grip on what is going on in the area and what troubles (if any) are brewing.

Good luck,
Shannon Bower
shannonb@bowerhelicopter.com