These are good questions.

Originally Posted by Omaha
What's the surface area of the pond? Sorry if I missed it.
Well, I was playing around with maps today and surface area and come up with ca 0.025 acres.
Originally Posted by FishinRod
Originally Posted by E. dB
About 4” of rain annually so it means we are 99% reliant on the snow pack. I understand what you mean about floodwaters with a dam in their path. It’s a concern potentially. This could explain the placement of the first pond requiring a diversion but which failed. A new construction, even in a more suitable place though would be difficult so I stick with what’s established relying on the precedent.

4" of rain is tough to work with, but I did demonstrate my regional bias. I should have asked about total precipitation instead of rain!

I do like the idea of a diversion of the stream to create your pond. If that was not well constructed or well engineered the first time, then you might be able to get a decent pond this time by doing it right.

The good news about only 4" of rain, is that a big flood in your creek is not very likely. You just need to design for the maximum flow rate you experience at the peak of the spring melt.

How long have you lived on the property? Just asking, to see if you have a good gauge on how "sporty" your creek is likely to get.

To be clear, a relocation or new-build of any kind is not an option in part given the 2 decades drought in the area plus the outlook. No one is looking for additional uses for water or any kind of diversions from the drainage system in its decline. My neighbor recently moved in from Texas found out the hard way when the water warden came knocking. "You aren't in Texas any more", is what he got to hear. I myself am a recent transplant. More accurately in the process of transplanting from Holland. I'm back and fourth now since 2020 so am starting to get a feel for the water cycle.

The shots give an idea of low water years and about average. There's always some water even in dry years which I'm confident about. The Utes always say, "When the world burns - (sound familiar) - our mesa will float".

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Last edited by E. dB; 01/31/24 07:34 PM.