I can shed some light on the LMB and the trout in Dixon that you cannot learn from reading a book or looking at articles. First hand knowledge as in been there fishing and lived relatively close for 10 years. Close as in 20 - 25 minutes and 19 miles away.....

Don't believe everything you read is the first thing.

Dixon is a hair bigger than 600 surface acres, and they stock 3,000-4,000 pounds of trout per stocking. While that doesn't feed ALL the bass in the lake, when they do stock them the LMB that are in that particular area know that the feed bell is ringing.

The trout are stupid and sometimes in shock when stocked. The trout that are stocked are mostly 10"-16" and I have NEVER seen a 2# trout stocked unless the CDFW stock some of their large brood fish after they have spawned and they need to rotate some inventory. That's how you see the 10#-12# trout caught. They didn't grow that big there in Dixon.

The CDFW can't temper the fish there. They take a good educated reading as to the water temp there when they leave the hatchery and dump the fish in. BUT water temp can fluctuate depending on the sun/clouds. Sometimes it takes a while for the trout to get acclimated sometimes not. BUT, I have seen trout just swimming and a LMB just swim up to them and suck them down. Trout that have absolutely no idea what a predator is doesn't have to be eaten by a bass that swims faster than it does; they don't think that they can get eaten and when they get sucked in, it's too late. Depending on where they are sourced, they could have been on the trout truck for 12 hours. That will slow them down too.

Trout are only stocked in the winter, the rest of the year the bass have a great population of Bluegills and to eat.

The LMB get habituated to the trout stocking trucks and it's a blood bath when the trout are stocked. There is a reason why the large trout imitation swim baits originated in Ca.....

The water there is CLEAR, so visibility is really, really good. If the lake hasn't gotten any runoff from a rainstorm, you can see 10+ feet visibility.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).