Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
LloydLusk, Catch N 8 NTex, PondGuppy, Satyam Thakur, BarbaraE
18,576 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,083
Posts559,361
Members18,577
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,686
ewest 21,541
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,183
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 372 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
GAR Offline OP
OP Offline
G
We recently stocked our newly established pond in March with 1600 coppernose bg 400 redear and 2000 fathead minnows. 150 LMB were released a few days ago. The BG are feeding well on the feeder presently spinning at 3 seconds twice/day. My question is will BG travel from other parts of the pond to feed. How many feeders should we have on an elongated 2 acre pond.

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Will your pond be relatively infertile for the first few years, or will it have some rich silt and/or fertilizer washing in from adjacent farm land?

With 1600 CNBG, your feeding question may be purely a matter of economics. Unless you have a very fat wallet, they will probably eat all of the food you throw (in a short period) from a couple of feeders and grow very fast in your warm Louisiana waters.

Hopefully some of the LA and TX members that feed can give you some expert advice on the correct amounts!

Have boatloads of fun with your new pond! grin

G
GAR Offline OP
OP Offline
G
The alkalinity is fine the pH is fine the water clarity was measured at 24”. I fertilized the pond for the second time this year two weeks ago. I can see small newly hatched minnows swimming along the ponds edge. We also have lots of frogs and tadpoles throughout the pond.

2 is fine. Here's what I did, and it's specifically aimed at CNBG. Native BG may be the same, but I'm not sure they deal with cold weather the same as CNBG. I would separate the feeders, and place them based on two situations. First, I would consider the predominate wind direction, and then have deeper water relatively close to the feeder. If the feeders are throwing into the wind, then shorter, but more, throws might be good. If not, then food will float to the bank before all the food can be eaten, and the "15 minute rule" doesn't work. If the feeder is throwing with the wind, then it will float out, and that's ok. CNBG will feed in cold water, but can be picky during, or right after, a front. If they do move out to deeper water, then they will probably move straight up to feed, and not move into the colder shallow water.

I'm assuming south LA is pretty humid, so you might want to run the feeders to empty every few months and check for clumps of moldy food. All feeders are potentially going to have that problem.

The CNBG I feed stay pretty close to the feeders unless they're spawning, or getting ready to spawn. I'm sure fish move to the feeders after they get accustomed to the throw times, but I wouldn't know how far they would travel.

AL

G
GAR Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks great info that I never considered.

C
C
GAR, I was about to post the same question. I'm in the process of having a very long 2-acre pond built and was questioning if bluegill will swim from 600' away from one side of the pond to get the feed at the other side.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
For a 2 acre long pond if the budget allows and your fish growth is important, I would use two feeders. Adjust feed time based on water temperature and how long it takes the fish to consume the pellets. REMEMBER - especially when you add pellets -- it becomes more important to properly and regularly harvest fish each year once they are several years old and they are regularly recruiting each year more fish into the pond. One can easily allow too many fish to grow causing water quality problems and too many plant problems due to added food / nutrients. The more fish you have in the pond the more food they eat to keep growing well and then water quality problems increase. Harvest fish to reduce their numbers, keep remaining fish growing well, and that reduces the overall number of problems. Your goal should be larger fewer fish having a balance rather than just having more fish always needing more food. Your goals are important for determining what to harvest and the numbers to harvest.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/29/24 08:54 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Listen to what Bill has to say. If you don't harvest enough fish, Mother Nature will do it for you and she will harvest way more fish than you intended to harvest.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
1 member likes this: jludwig

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
AaronhomeIN, airborne3118, catskillswater, Jr Branham, Rick, Tent Camp, Txland
Recent Posts
Algae
by Boondoggle - 06/14/24 10:07 PM
New YP/SMB Pond in MI - Plan
by FishinRod - 06/14/24 09:19 PM
RW on a HSB ?
by FishinRod - 06/14/24 09:10 PM
Windmill System Suggestions
by Bill Cody - 06/14/24 07:59 PM
Where to start?
by Boondoggle - 06/14/24 05:34 PM
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?
by Theeck - 06/14/24 10:46 AM
Fish ID - Please
by RAH - 06/14/24 09:37 AM
Stocking Bass
by RossC - 06/14/24 07:44 AM
25 Acre Arkansas lake management advice
by RossC - 06/14/24 07:39 AM
Pond build questions
by Satyam Thakur - 06/14/24 02:38 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Fishingadventure - 06/13/24 10:20 PM
Does anyone else hand feed bass dead fish?
by Boondoggle - 06/13/24 10:18 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13
Minnow identification
Minnow identification
by Mike Troyer, October 6
Sharing the Food