This is my first post and introduction.

Well, here goes... I have been trying to keep up with the pondboss forum for the past year or so. I can't say I've read every single post and all the archives, but I've paid attention to the topics that interested me and tried to learn from what I've read.

First, I'd like to say thanks to all of you who answer questions and post feedback for those who seek advice. A public forum like this is an awesome thing! It's what makes the internet fun and useful.

I am located in East Texas. Pines, mosquitos, heat, and humidity... it's all I've ever known. \:\)

I am the proud owner of 17 acres in San Jacinto County. My place is backed right up to Sam Houston National Forest. There are big beautiful oaks and pines all over.
The land is un-developed. Nothing but a fence around it. No utilities, no driveway, no nothing. I love it just the way it looks now, if I could only convince my wife to live in a tent, I'd be set! \:D

I sincerely hope to build a home there in the next few years. But I am going to need a LOT of dirt to build up a 1500' driveway, a house pad, and I gotta drop in a couple of pipes to cross a low spot. That's where the pond comes in. \:\)

Now for my pond diggin' dream...

The property is kinda football field shaped - about 3 acres wide by 5 acres deep. The back corner of the property is a low spot that stays boggy and wet most of the year. (Of course, it's almost bone dry right now with this dry spell we got going on!) When it rains hard, (and I sincerely believe it will again... some day... ;\) ) water flows off the National Forest behind me and also from my neighbor's place, across the middle of my property and off to the neighbor on the other side.
I would like to dig a pond right back there in that low area. I am guessing I could end up with a pond about 3/4 to 1 acre in size.

The soil there is a sand and clay mix with a little iron ore. Using post hole diggers, I did a "poor man's field test". It was a lot heavier in clay than sand when I got down past the top foot of soil. If I had to guess, I'd say it's at least 60 to 70% clay down to about 5 feet.
I really do think a pond right there would hold water. Especially with the potential volume of water shed to keep it fed.

My objective is really more a driveway and housepad construction with the pond being a good excuse to have a source of my own dirt without paying to have it hauled in.

Here's my first question...
Can I simply excavate the area I want the pond to be without constructing a levee or dam?

In really simple terms, I'm thinking I can just excavate the area I want and let it fill. Whatever water flows out and away on the low side will determine the water level and pond shape. Right?

Sorry for the long post. I got to typing and the words just kept a comin'.

Any and all advice is appreciated!
Thanks!
Ronnie