Here's my story. I begged my dad to buy a dozer, he bought a small Komatsu that didn't do much and was hard to get anything done with. Then he found what he was really wanting to buy--an old D6. I still got a lot of nothing done. I learned that no matter how long I thought about it when I started I would change my gameplan. The biggest problem was our dirt was dry and hard. The second biggest problem was lack of knowledge about the dozer. I tightened the clutch and it helped a lot and then it rained and it helped even more. I also discovered that different soils push differently.
My opinion is to just go out and do it. I have learned to operate the beast a lot better but think I will still improve on knowing what I can and can't do. Slopes wanting to steer for me is aggrevating.
We still have the little guy and it works good to clean out muck and doze out ceders. It's also moveable with a regular truck and trailer.
Thanks for the pictures of stuck equipment. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.