ewest,

I'll try to answer as many as I can.

First, I built three of these deep water islands. They are probably equivalent to a circle of 30 foot diameter at the base. The base is made of clay and extends upward about 12 feet or so from the bottom to a diameter of probably about 20 feet. On top of this clay base, I added permanent structure which reaches on up to the surface level and just below.

The pond is 3.5 acres. Its hard to estimate the % of the total pond volume, but I would say the islands do represent a significant % of the pond's volume in the deep water. Yes, there's no doubt it added significantly to the pond's productivity. They provide a sanctuary for small fish, fatheads love them, and also a great place for the predators to hang out. No, I don't believe it promotes spawning, at least for predators.

A side benefit, one of the islands can not be reached by fishing from shore...only by boat and I don't hardly ever allow anyone out in a boat. It has become a "sanctuary", a free zone for fish from fishing pressure. My idea was to try to lesson the impact of fishing pressure on LMB learning. That's a whole other topic.

My main objective in these islands was to make use of the deep water that is otherwise "fishless", especially that water in the thermocline areas. I rejected the conventional wisdom that says only place structure in shallow water. I placed my aeration stations as close to the islands as I could.

I wish I could say that from the beginning I intended to stock HSB to use these islands areas but I came upon that idea later, thanks to George and Bruce on the Forum. Guess where the HSB hang out? Yes, exclusively around the islands.

Do I recommend these islands now that I've had them for three years...yes, absolutely! What would I do differently? I think I would place gravel on at least one of them instead of all the structure. I've got a feeling that would really entertain the forage fishes.

One last thing, a soap box, don't be bound by conventional thinking all the time. Everything about ponds has not already been discovered or written about. For example, show me the books on bass management that talk about Tilapia. There aren't any that I know of

Think out of the box sometimes...you will make mistakes, but you will also learn more. If you aren't living on the edge, you are just taking up space. End of soap box. and thanks for your interest, ewest