RAH,

Did you plant it in food plots for your deer ... or ... to stabilize soil that you disturbed (building your ponds for example)? I'm a bit surprised that you didn't anticipate that it could spread but nothing works better than reality to clarify unknowns. If you want to diminish its influence, I would be glad to offer some suggestions using native plants. Crown vetch isn't a strong competitor when combined with stronger plants. It tends to be an understory plant or may lose its grip on survival altogether.

Where I grew up, the invasive that spread throughout our tall grass prairie is Korean Lespedeza. It's literally everywhere making its living in the understory of the native tall grasses. Its a much stronger invasive than is crown vetch because it is able to establish from seed in existing stands of tall grass. Crown vetch can hardly establish from seed in stands of native grass. The only way it seems to spread is from pure stands where it is able to extend its footprint by extending its rhizomal network into the surroundings. A very strong native grass well suited to marginal soil is Switchgrass.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers