Before your contractor gets too far along get that MSU extension booklet. If the sides are not going to be compacted and just dredged and scooped out then steeper slopes than 3:1 are probably acceptable. 1:1 slope may be too steep for your soil conditions and you may get the sides caving or sloughing down into the pond. Slopes of 1:1 of a 3/4 acre pond will result in lots more dirt excavated. With steeper slopes you may have to reduce the size of the pond a little bit. If you get a lot of snow then your depth will need to be deeper than 12 ft especially if you are not able to remove snow in winter for some reason due to illness, old age or something else. Your county's US Soil Conservation Service should be aware of the MSU recommendation of proper pond depth. I would try at least for 15 ft and better if the flat bottom sloped from 12 ft to 18 ft. You are likely to have clear water (vis to 10-12 ft) and deeper water will supress rooted weed growth in clear water. Since weed eating grass carp ae illegal in MI you want to do everything possible to MINIMIZE rooted weed growth. Since you will be eating lots of fish from this pond you should minimize chemical weed control as much as possible.

Added depth will also result in more excavated dirt. Again maybe a reason for a slightly smaller pond. Your contractor may start objecting to steeper slopes and a deeper pond producing extra effort/time and dirt that he does not need or want. Deeper depth and steeper slopes may cost some extra to you. I think side slopes in your case could be variable; one or two at 3:1, one or two at 2.5:1 and one at 2:1. Steeper slopes will result in less rooted growth. I question the slope stability of 1:1 built in your soils. I think is is also a good idea to check with your local Soil Conservation service, their job is to "know the dirt" in our area. They should have soil maps of your site.

If bullfrogs are native to your area then you will have lots of them. Perch will not eat their tadpoles and thus not control their numbers. If bullfrogs are not local, you will have to stock some of their tadpoles to get them started. One or two bullfrogs calling at night are sort pleasant to hear but eight to 14 adult male bullfrogs can get real noisy during breeding season in the summer with the windows open at night and if your house is close to the pond. You will have to be almost deaf to sleep. You will see what I mean in several years. I have to sleep with windows closed at night during frog breeding season since my pond is next to the house. It sounds like a bunch of car horns blowing all night during a traffic jam. Too much of a good thing sometimes.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management