Forget the idea of growing those SMB and WE in a cage or even net pen - block net because you have very little experience doing this type of thing. From experience SMB are much easier to cage raise compared to WE. Plus you are doing this way too late in the fall so success of feed training in cold water and decreasing temps make it more difficult. Your other disadvantage is the new SMB-WE are on the small side which makes them easy bass food. I and a few other local guys tried WE in a cage with forage, and the WE attacked each other until only a few relatively healthy dominant ones remained.

Since you say you have "a lot of cover and forage",, I would just release the bought fish and hope for the best. Importantly in addition, I would add more FHM and some GSH to help take the predation pressure off the new stocked fish. Add as many minnows as your wallet and wife will allow. The more you add the higher the chances of survival of the new SMB-WE. Minnows that don't get quickly eaten will provide some needed easy food throughout winter for the new fish to keep them healthy over winter. WINTER is the hardest season for fish to survive.

As an added help/benefit, I would immediately get fishing and catch-remove as many LMB as you are able to catch. Use all sorts of baits including live bait esp minnows. See how good of an angler you are! The more all sizes of LMB removed the better this will significantly improve the chances of new fish survival. This definitely removes strong predation pressure on the new SMB-WE. Plus the more LMB you can remove allows more minnow forage to survive to benefit the SMB-WE. Your goal is to get them to SURVIVE!

LMB are cheap and very easy to replace. Plus you will definitely not catch all the LMB so the few remainders will produce you an overabundance of new LMB next year. Follow my suggestions closely and some of your new SMB-WE should provide you an occasional bonus fish providing the new fish you buy are good and healthy. WE are tricky and variable for fish farms to 'hold' before they are sold. Numerous factors before and after stocking affect survival. I bought 24 7"-11" WE last week that had been delivered to the farm 2 days prior and at least 9 died fairly quickly for me. Who knows how many dead were not seen.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/02/19 09:24 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management