Based on my experience I would avoid crappie. My 1 3/4 ac pond was not managed for years when I bought it this spring and was full of 7-10" crappie. The bluegill and bass populations were lower than expected with most bass being small or quite large (have only caught bass 1lb and under and at least 2 bass over 4-5lbs. I estimate there are 2-6 large bass over 4lb and about 25-50 under 1lb bass. Have not caught anything inbetween the extremes.

I believe the crappie had reduced the bluegill population by predation to point that the bass were mostly starving unless they got big enough to eat crappie or white perch.

That said the crappie are good eating and provided good action in the spring. Suposedly they have been in the pond for at least 30 years. I'm not sure how practical it would be to try to clip fins on hundreds of crappie - I've taken out and eaten 125 crappie in my pond - pretty much eat all I catch unless I don't catch enough for a meal. I intend to contine with this - I figure it will be pretty much impossible for me to get all the crappie out but I should be able to keep them in check.

Last edited by nvcdl; 09/02/19 06:21 PM.