A 50/50 mix of the Starter #4 and Junior was great for my 3-5" HBG the first year. The #4 was for the smaller of the stocked HBG. I have switched to Bluegill only now because it is slightly larger and better suits my HBG that are likely 5-7" now. So, what you choose has everything to do with the size of fish you are feeding.

Rule of thumb is to feed only the amount that the fish will consume in 15 minutes. I think opinions vary as I have heard as little as a few minutes and my fish seem to really take their time, up to 30 minutes, but 15 seems to be the most popular. I had to start by hand feeding as my re-purposed feeder would throw too much at first. Once the fish got into the habit, I started using the auto feeder and it still throws a bit much in my opinion.

I start hand feeding the fish in the spring about the time the water hits 60F, but they do not take to it right away so the amounts are much smaller. I have NOT witnessed my fish NOT eating due to higher water temps. Feed the fish if they will eat and stop feeding when the stop eating.

My auto feeder was throwing about a 1/3 pound last year once a day and I hand fed occasionally, even tried to auto feed in the morning for a month, give or take. I went through most of 80 pounds last year.

Fish on!,
Noel