Looking in my rear view mirror here.

Shortcut, I bought my first fish from Harrel Arms over 30 years ago. He was a character and was Bob Lusk's first boss when Bob graduated from TAMU. He gave away a booklet titled everything I know about catching fish. It was filled with blank pages. Yessir, he was a character.

In those days I only had a 1/4 acre(after good rains) water hole and a seasonal creek on the new place I bought. Arms was the only fish seller around that I could find. So, I bought about 10 pounds of fathead minnows, 1,000 baby bluegills, 100 catfish, a couple hundred redears, a couple of bags of fish food and 100 1 inch bass. In a couple of years I got a drought and a heckuva O2 shortage and a massive die off. It was a stinking mess. I ran into Harrell about a year later and asked why he sold me too many fish. He told me that I didn't have sense enough to ask for his advice but just told him what I wanted. He was right and I got an expensive smelly mess.

Lesson learned. What lesson? Stock for what your pond/tank carries in August after the summer droughts and evaporation. West Texas summer sunshine is not user friendly.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 01/26/19 07:36 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP