The problem with burying the airline deep enough in freezing country is having enough grade.

If your pump is sitting well above your pond then it's doable. If you do not have some God given fall to get to your water then you have a problem.

I'm fairly certain avoiding the frost line means going at least 36" deep and probably closer to 48" deep in Iowa. So you come out of the pump and go straight to 48" deep then the airline has to FALL from there. They say the minimum fall for gravity flow pipe (sewer) is 1/4" per foot. Over a 1,000' run that would require 20' of fall!! Obviously that is not possible so you can see you will have far less fall than the generally accepted minimum for sewer. Let's say you only fall the airline 5' over the 1,000' run. You started 4' deep and have gone down another 5' over the 1,000' run so now you are 9' deep at the waters edge. How do you get back up into the water without creating a nasty P Trap that fills with condensation and then freezes once it rises above the frost line?

I am lucky that I have a fairly steep path to my water to work with and I still have had nothing but trouble. I wish I had run power!!

EDIT: If Winter 2019/2020 gives me condensation issues again I WILL be pulling a power wire thru the airline.

Last edited by wbuffetjr; 01/24/19 09:35 AM.

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management