Originally Posted By: TGW1
Al, you put a smile on me this Christmas morning because I know you are correct in having a single species dedicated pond. Thousands of bg sounds good smile But until I get that done I thought I might see what I could do with what I have for right now. I like the cage idea and with your comment here then maybe I might get a blocking net a good shot. We will have some nice weather in 45 days or so and I am looking for a place that is not all sand for a forage pond. The ideal place had 100% sand, and I have little idea why? It is right next to the big pond. Just blew me away as to why a few feet made such a difference in the soils. I have another spot picked out but I need to look at it closer and give it more thought. The downside is it would have to be seined for harvest. The blocking net, just drop the net smile I must be getting lazy in my older years.

Thanks Scott for the picture, good information. What was the time frame for this to take place?

i would guess 2-3 months, but i don't really remember. looks like some of these were close to the 5 inch mark by counting the 3/4" squares. i live on my pond and most days i would toss them food 2 or 3 times a day. i made the square feeder ring that floats, i think that helps get them in there initially by holding the food. i feed them am 600 so the little ones peck at it for a while.

Scott Hanners