Originally Posted By: Rick D
Hi Everyone,
I just recently had a 1 acre pond in East Texas rebuilt. I have an extra well that I am using to fill the pond. I have not tested the water but my first issue is that it is irony. I plan to build a fake stream for the water to splash down mostly for aesthetics. I obviously don't want my stream bed to turn a lovely shade of rust. I spoke to some people at the fish farm I plan to use when I am ready to stock the pond. He recommended running the well water through a couple of barrels spilling over some type of media (I'm not sure what) in order to aerate the water and knock the rust out of solution to presumably settle at the bottom of the barrels. Conceptually, I understand this but I'm looking to see if anyone has experience with this and might have some drawings to go by.
Thanks.

Pretty simple, really....Oxidize the dissolved iron by running the well water into the pond in about a 30 foot long "stream" over course rock, or stack and drill holes in about 5 buckets filled with course rock.....this will also saturate the water with oxygen (well water rarely has any dissolved oxygen in it)

Cecil Baird uses the stacked bucket method to supply his trophy trout ponds...It's not a pretty way to do the oxidizing, but it IS very effective...There are pics of Cecil's stack method in the thread.....

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.ph...true#Post437919

Last edited by Rainman; 10/03/18 09:28 AM.