The hybrids are definitely aggressive towards a hook. There are days when I think my BG are just as aggressive. But day after day, when the BG are not particularly aggressive, the hybrids still are.

Very often when first fishing a spot on the bank, 3 out of four fish I catch are hybrids. Then I start catching BG. But when I feed I can see the hybrids because of the very visible tail margin. Very small percentage are hybrids.

Here are a couple from my RES/SMB pond. Not supposed to be any GSF genes in that pond, but I have been catching a few. Could have been some contamination in the fish I stocked from a fish farm. Or could have been some mistakes when I was moving RES fingerlings from my forage pond. I caught 3 altogether but just took pics of two. The markings on all three were nearly identical and size similar (making me wonder if they came from the same brood) and really have a distinctive RES opercular. But they have the green cheek bars (along with the yellow mottled RES cheeks) and a short pectoral fin resembling a GSF.

Really pretty fish I think. But I moved them out of my RES pond because I am trying to keep it pure RES.

I've not cut the gut open on any to check for snails. Guess I should.

Attached Images
20180917_181624.jpg 20180917_181735.jpg
Last edited by snrub; 09/18/18 09:38 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine