Originally Posted By: Jim Wetzel
Hybrids I have made involving WM (Warmouth Sunfish). Female parent first in crosses below.

WM x NBG
WM x RES
WM x GSF (Green Sunfish)
WM x PSS (Pumpkinseed Sunfish)
WM x RSS (Red-Spotted Sunfish)
WM X OSF (Orange-Spotted Sunfish)
GSF x WM

None of the hybrids were noted to produce offspring in ponds which I think is most sensitive test. Test involved placing quality adults in ponds devoid of competition at beginning of breeding season in April. No offspring detected the following fall even though fish stocked persisted. Very little sign of nesting detected. The crosses involving NBG and RES commingled with female NBG and RES also failed to produce offspring.

Just searched up this thread. I'm new and just learning a lot of this. I'm interested in trying to raise some hybrid warmouth fingerlings although not quite set up for it yet. If you see this Jim, may I ask how the different f1 warmouth hybrids performed as far as growth rate, vigor etc (I'm not interested in fertility since I prefer it be low)?The warmouth would seem to be a natural substitute for the GSF since they are so similar but the warmouth don't seem as prone to stunt even if there is some reversion and may grow a little larger. Also, in Florida they are not native and not welcome. I'm probably oversimplifying this. One more question, did you generate the F1 hybrids in a tank type setting? Thanks, Jim M