Originally Posted By: Mike Whatley
Seems if they were such huge trash fish as they have always been treated, there wouldn't be so many crossbreed experiments and creations using them. Bout time they started getting the respect they deserve.

I'm waiting to hear about someone creating a GSF ONLY pond. I think they could basically police themselves.

Go greenies go!!
d

My first 3 years on the property I live on I had a GSF only pond....it was the oldest of 3 ponds on the property (by a long shot - a 77 year old neighbor said he fished in it as a little guy) and also the smallest at 1/4 acre and probably 4' average depth. It was chock FULL of GSF.....my kids were just toddlers then but that pond got them interested in fishing....you could literally throw a bare hook out there 20 times and catch 20 GSF between 2-4". There were also some DANDIES in there in the 9+" range, but not a ton of them obviously.

I didn't notice the typical signs of stunting in there, perhaps because GSF don't SHOW the typical signs, I don't know. But I know that for a 'get kids to fish' pond, it was the best I'd ever seen. I ended up breaching the dam and adding that little neck as a cove in my big pond when I built it - but all the GSF went into the big pond. I still catch one every now and then, caught a beaut last weekend.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous