Originally Posted By: Bocomo
Originally Posted By: snrub

My Mr Crappie rod is only a 10 ft model and it has a very small spin cast reel instead of the single reel like his. I do cast some times (it casts pretty well, even with a 1/64 oz jig because the rod is so long and line light) but also do a lot of what he does, simply using it like a long cane pole and swinging the bait out from the bank or dock and sweeping it across and back in towards shore.

It works really well.

That sounds a lot like a tenkara rod, which I have always wanted to try. It's like a fly rod with no reel.

I think this is the rod and the reel but in the store they had the combo with them sold together. It is nothing high end but it seems to work well. It is quite different than my regular spin casting rod and reel though in that the rod is extremely flexible and light weight. In the reviews the rod only got two stars because both reviewers broke them. I would say that would be very easy to do if a person was not paying attention when landing a fish or snagged. I have to be careful lifting even a 3/4 pound BG out of the water and support the rod correctly or I think it would break easily. I think a person has to handle it more like a fly fishing rod.

MR Crappie rod

Mr Crappie spin cast reel

I have been using it with a 1/64 oz jig tied directly to the line and either casting it or swinging it out like John F describes. The one problem I have noticed it with such light mono line and such light bait the line does not pull tight enough to wrap correctly on the reel. It will try to wrap around the cover behind the spool instead of correctly in the spool. So I have to use one hand ahead of the reel and keep some tension on the line when reeling it in (no problem when a fish is on and there is tension). It would not be a problem with a heavier bait but the reason I bought it was to use for BG with very small jigs. I may at some point string it with light weight braided line. I use braided on my regular spin casting rod and it is much more flexible than the mono. I think it would wind on the spool easier without having to add tension to the line. But I have been having fun with it.

John F has landed some big CC with his. It is just not something you would want to hand an inexperienced kid because they could break it in a heartbeat with a big fish on. Its action is more like a fly rod action but with regular line rather than fly rod casting line.

I'm no angler so what I say may not even make sense. The only fishing I do is at my ponds but I do a fair amount of BG fishing there. Caught a few last night, although the bite was slow after the cold front arrived. Brrrrrr.

Last edited by snrub; 04/08/18 09:45 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine