Originally Posted By: RER
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Thanks Bill. If there's such a thing as a CNYP (coppernose yellow perch), I'll take a thousand sight unseen. YP may be the prettiest pond fish I've ever seen, but 90+ degree summer water temp was the biggest issue I had with actively pursuing them. I've been trying to keep up with you guys YP posts, and I "think" other than tolerable water temps, my pond has most everything here they require.

TPWD tried stocking YP in several different lakes from 1980-1997. I'm guessing they didn't populate as well as was hoped.

how deep is your pond, Have you tested bottom water temps during the summer? If you have depth and can keep water at near 77-80 degrees most the time you could probably manage to keep them through the summer.

I do wonder if the strain in this water system are a bit more tolerant of higher water temps then the northern relatives?

I have heard of a "southern strain" YP, though I've never found anyplace that has any. I have also stocked many ponds with SMB and YP in warm climates that have done well over the last 7 years. Growth may be a bit slower, i.e.inverse to CNBG or FLMB in cooler waters, but no one has kept records that would really conclude less or slower growth and or reproduction. As long as the waters cool enough to trigger a YP spawn, the YP have gotten recruitment in more southern, warm ponds.