Hey guys. New member, new pond owner, and first post. Recently bought a house with 8 acres. Pond is approx. 1 acre, clean, approx. 15-18' deep in the middle (according to the previous owner), only fed from rainwater and runoff from the back yard (plenty of runoff) and has some pretty good bass/bream in it (also according to the previous owner). Since we just moved in over this past weekend, my pond project ideas are hitting the back burner until we get unpacked and settled in. However, my first big project I want to tackle is building a dock come spring time, maybe sooner. Ever since we first looked at this house and made an offer on it, I've built this dock a hundred ways in my mind, watched Youtube til I was blue in the face, and in looking for ideas online, found this site.

Here's the plan. I'm wanting to build a 4'x10' gang plank leading to a 10'x10' dock from which to fish, cook, hang out etc. I'll build the two frames on land using 6x6 joists, install and secure the barrels (I figure either 6 or 8 for the 10'x10' section), flip over, push out into the pond, deck it with 5/4 bullnose, and drive 2" drill stem and secure them with dock pipe holders. This will get me "docking" no problem.

This part I am confident about with no concerns. My main question is regarding placing 4x4 or 6x6 wood pilings on down the road if/when I don't want it to be a floating dock anymore. My thoughts are, rather than jetting or pile driving, is it feasible (or rather has it been done with any success) to concrete the posts into 5 gallon buckets (rebar will be drilled through the post to anchor it into the concrete), set the posts at the corners of the dock and settling them down on the pond bottom and lagging them to the dock, case closed, problem solved? I'm thinking by tamping them down into the pond bottom prior to securing them to the dock, they will be plenty sturdy and stable to support the dock without concern of any shifting or moving. I will definitely brace the posts back to one another to add as much integrity to it as possible. Can anyone speak to this method as far as pros/cons? If this turns out to be a good method of installation, would the barrels need to be removed? Only level changes would be from evaporation and/or heavy rains. I figure leave them in place for if it does rain heavily, the barrels will pick the whole dock up and set it back down when the water goes down. I will have the gang plank secured to the bank using 4x4 posts on either side and a concrete anchor bolt drilled through and acting as a hinge pivot to take into account the ups and downs of the water level.

Who knows, I may leave it as a floating dock forever if it seems like it will work out. Just running as many possibilities through their paces to come up with the best answer. Thank you for your help in advance and I look forward to your responses.

Kyle
Pontotoc, MS