I've found a property my wife and I both like(major feat in itself) but I have concerns in the fact that the entire property is on a slope. It's about 34 acres total. I met with a pond builder and was very impressed with him. He walked the property and was quite pleased with it and confident with the terrain and soil he was seeing that a 2-3 acre pond would stay full. This was the second place we looked at and he wasn't afraid to share his concerns about the first place.

Back to the slope concern though. Do you experienced gurus have any input on how this pond should look? I want something longer as opposed to a circle; some "character" if you will. Should this be put in parallel to the elevation lines or perpendicular to them? Parallel would catch more runoff but would have a much longer dam. I have confidence in the pond builder, I just want to make sure this pond looks natural, melts into the landscape, and is as troublefree as possible.

In the attached image, there was supposedly a spring that was located between the two lines that I drew. You can tell it cut a bit into the hillside. The slope goes downhill from east to west(right to left). I was thinking of putting the pond downhill of that area and taking advantage of the natural cut in the hillside. There's no sign of the spring any more.

Are we asking for major headaches in the future by putting a pond on the side of a hill?

Attached Images
elevations.PNG