I have a small sediment pond to catch all the sand that comes into the big pond when we get large rain events. I tossed in some fhm's last year and feed the minnows daily by hand tossing. This fertilized the water and after going through a drought on the pond this last year, the water was pretty green and high in nutrients. Lots of FHM's also. We had a really good rain event and flushed the pond into the big pond. The large dense bloom started just days after that event. I have had many blooms in the pond, some by fertilizing and some natural. I did not fertilize this year because the water looked to be almost perfect the whole year(lack of cold winter, I'm guessing).

I still have a few fhm's in the sediment pond but I will not feed them again and fertilize that water. They will have to survive the natural way.

Eric, the water sprinkler using the Honda pump, would pick up water from the five foot water depths from the pond and then spray. I also ran the water well, but after seeing the two floating hsb and where it was suggested, may have been caused by water temp change, I backed off the water well to every other day during this event. I was looking for dilution at the time.

Last edited by TGW1; 07/12/17 06:25 AM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy