Originally Posted By: liquidsquid
Which reminds me: Do not use chemical fertilizers on your lawn. That will get into the pond and turn it into an un-swimmable hole. Only organic low phosphorous fertilizers.

LS, I've been hanging around here for a few years, but haven't seen this stated so forcefully. I have 6 acres of alfalfa that are part of my pond's drainage. I know they put down dry fertilizer, and spray roundup on it. It represents over half my pond's drainage. We swim in the pond a lot. How do you define "un-swimmable hole"? Any ideas on what to do to counteract the chemical fertilizers that must be reaching my pond.

Also, Esshup, The wife will never let me cut a tree down around our pond. I'm going to have to live with millions of leaves falling into our pond every fall. Won't aeration get rid of the leaves/muck? That's my plan anyway. Hopefully next summer.

JillG, we have relatives in Brodhead, WI is a beautiful state. Love going up there. My dad grew up in Baraboo, we used to go there every year or two as a kid. Welcome to the forum. We love swimming in our pond also!

Last edited by SetterGuy; 05/24/17 01:48 PM.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023