Ah, yes I screwed up. I meant 3/4 inch. I already have a few hundred feet of it in random pieces in the field left over from when I had an ice castle fountain from a spring. It was just a screw around project, and over the years, the piping has been kinked, cut, integrated accidentally into the pond dam... so I need new.

I'll have to special order the stuff from the store as I need 9 rolls, and they usually only stock 2 or 3 at a time.

I did use a blow torch to soften the ends for fitting together, but never used clamps as I ran that line above ground. The pipe would occasionally freeze up and force it apart when the spring water wasn't enough to keep it thawed. I preferred that over blown fittings. It would probably make sense to use some RTV glue on the fittings and double clamp when burying, thanks!

It does get me thinking about burial, frost lines, and expansion and contraction. The depth around here is/was 3 feet. Not happening on a ditch that long!

Instead of a simple straight line, I will put a loop in the tubing every joint to allow for expansion and contraction like cable TV does. That way the tension wont be on the joint. It will be tough to make a round furrow like that.

I will run this in hot weather as it is the best time to run vinyl when it is soft. It is a nightmare in cold weather, like working with a big spool of spring steel!

I am on a good hill, all the way between the house and the pond, so unless I screw up on the loops, I would be hard pressed to have a low spot where water would accumulate. It is close to a 150 foot drop from house to pond.

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions!

Last edited by liquidsquid; 05/21/17 06:38 AM.