Originally Posted By: Bill D.
I wonder if you have discovered a pitfall of pellet feeding. Maybe the pellet fed CNBG population has exploded well beyond the pond's normal capacity to support due to the extra forage (pellets) and has thrown the balance of LMB to CNBG way off to the point that the CNBG are suppressing all LMB recruitment? Maybe harvest a bunch of CNBG and stock some 8+ inch LMB? An electro shock sampling might prove enlightening on LMB to CNBG ratio.

On the flip side, your existing LMB ought to be growing like crazy! smile

Just a theory. The pros may chime in and say I'm all wet. I'm ok with that. I can learn something and I'm sure I will eventually dry out!

Hmmm interesting theory.... but I been feeding sense 2011 I have CNBG everywhere... and I still have baby lmb. I would continue to think still maybe not enough of the right cover for them? Plus I only supplement feed so I know my BG are hungry and I still have baby lmb. So with that said what is different.... Here is my situation and then you can compare.

1. My water has been very high this year during the spawn. So I think fry have plenty of grass to hide in... / sticks.

2. My pond is 1 acre and I have 8 brush piles in it and one decent size dock for fish to hide in. A big area of cinder blocks and about 5 tires laid around the pond.

3. My pond does not have a very big slope to it, it's pretty shallow for the first 3 or 4 feet. I think this helps as well making it harder for predator fish to get up into the shallows.

I don't know just thinking out loud is all.

Good Luck Tracy

RC

Last edited by RC51; 05/12/17 10:57 AM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!