Okay the vote so far is 3 yea to 1 nay (me). Standard crappie will be the problematic fish in your plan. I would like for you to try your planned combination to see what results you will get and then report those results here so all can learn. I fear the predators are not adequate to control BCP reproduction. I fear and think a 1-1.3 ac pond will be difficult to adjust an overabundant fish species. If you want to proceed with BCP try with all your power and then use more trying to use hybrid crappie. Use hybrids even if you have to drive 8hr or more one way to get them. Member TJ here can advise with Hyb BCP.

IMO your planned fish predators of WE, SMB and YP are not naturally adapted to deal with or control small crappie(1"-4"). It is a behavior thing. IF BCP spawn in your pond they will overpower it with too many small crappie that will stunt or grow very slowly. In that case be prepared to remove a few thousand 3"-5" crappie per yr. If you stock any crappie I highly suggest that you stock them after the fishery is established (yrs 3-5) so the established predators, as planned, can help keep BCP controlled.

IMO the WE & SMB can function pretty good with PS and YP. If you plan to have minnows-shiners long term, plan to have a significant amount of dense cover as refugia to keep the 'minnow' broodstock around until the next spawning season. A few or several medium to large patches of hybrid lilies could serve as that necessary habitat.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/26/17 03:13 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management