We appreciate the input. Keep it coming.

More than once, I've heard from readers, "Each issue, I get at least one nugget we can use at our property." The best explanation I've heard from several readers is, "A year's subscription to Pond Boss costs less than a Friday dinner date." That hit me pretty hard...

Our mission is to help people become better stewards of their land and water, with a focus on water.

I can see Tony's point, if he doesn't see the value, don't subscribe. Spend that $35 on something of greater value.

I also see Tentmaker's point. Diversify the content. I'd love to do that, if I can find a writer who can cover any of those topics.

I was asked a question a few years ago by Matt Rayl. He said, "Bob, what IS Pond Boss?" I'd truly not thought about that. 15 years ago, I would have said, "Pond Boss is a magazine that comes out six times a year." But, as I thought about it, I said, "Pond Boss is a big, extended family of people with like-minded goals, trying to be the best stewards they can be. Pond Boss is a website with excellent information, a lively, healthy discussion forum and a conference every year and a half to two years...a conference and expo that's similar to a family reunion...where everyone actually likes each other. So, Pond Boss is a family of people who share thoughts, absorb ideas and meet each other all over this nation. Oh, and yes, Pond Boss is a magazine." That magazine with its readership and advertisers fuels the economy of the business of Pond Boss.

Since the magazine is the economy (along with the great folks who donate to the forum) we're looking to continue to improve and expand the subscriber base. In order to do that, we need reader and forum members to spread the word. Our subscribership is interesting. We have a renewal rate of 55-60%, every year. What that means to us is that people value the information, and want it to keep coming. Compare that rate to traditional publications with renewal rates less than 10%.

As an owner and the editor, I truly appreciate the input. Everyone who participates in this forum is a volunteer. That's a pretty big word, VOLUNTEER. The moderators do a great job of keeping the forum totally family friendly. The people who contribute answers do it to help others, without reservation and often without thanks.

Believe it or not, it costs quite a bit to keep this forum going. If we depended on the forum to pay its way, we'd be in a hole. There's a little bit of revenue from ads and the donations cover about half of the hosting fees. Magazine subscriptions and advertisers drive it.

Please keep feeding this thread and let me know what you think about my original question.

This pond management industry is still very young, but it's not far from the cusp of a tipping point. Tony referred to regulations and rules. He's right. The last few years there have been some ridiculous interpretation of laws, with policies that squash good people's intentions. But, I'll stand by our rules. No politics on this forum. As divisive as things are in that arena, there's no way I'll allow that noose around our necks.

As we move toward tomorrow, and the rest of our future, there are quite a few new trends finding their way into the pond management business. I'll say this, I think pond management is 10% science, and 90% art. If you understand enough of the science, you become proficient in the art of managing your pond.

We look forward to more ideas, suggestions and reasons why you either subscribe, or you don't.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...