Originally Posted By: Cadillac Bill
Alright, the equations have confused my tired brain, so please let me know about how much alum and aluminum sulfate should be added in a one acre lake with average depth of about5 feet?

Apparently x amounts of alum and 1/2x of aluminum sulfate is added to xx gallons of water making slurry and sprayed on the surface???

I have a 20 gallon sprayer and can dispense from my pontoon boat.

I am ready to use. Please advise..

Bill, Alum is Aluminum Sulfate....and Calcium Hydroxide is Hydrated Lime (do NOT confuse Hydrated Lime with "Ag Lime" (Calcium Carbonate, Calcite, Dolomite).

For every 100 pounds of Alum needed, use 50 pounds of Hydrated Lime.

I would suggest 1000 pounds of Alum (Aluminum Sulfate) and 500 pounds of Hydrated Lime (Calcium Hydroxide)

As for mixing, hydrated lime can be slowly poured, dry, into the prop wash, if using a motor on the boat, or about 3 pounds Hydrated Lime per gallon of water,

BEWARE wet, Hydrated Lime is highly caustic and will dissolve skin, especially in small cuts and scrapes!!!

Aluminum Sulfate will become a slurry and needs to be mixed at about a 1 pound per gallon mixture.

Given the long length of time it will take (12-15 hours) to apply the mixtures, I would strongly suggest spraying 100# of Alum, followed by 50# of Hydrated Lime, alternating back and forth....Do NOT mix the Hydrated Lime and Alum at the same time in the tank, or it quickly turns to a paste!!

Last edited by Rainman; 03/16/17 12:51 AM.