Originally Posted By: snrub
The sand bags would sure be a cheap and easy thing to try. If they worked to suit you, keep them. If you feel you need more weight, keep your eye out for some scrap cast or someones unused tractor front weights. You can always use the sand elsewhere.

One thing that is handy is having a place on the tractor to store a chain. A 16-20' 5/16 gr70 chain is invaluable to have with you all the time (especially if you weld 2 grab hooks on your loader bucket as I suggested). Keep that in mind with your weight box and think about incorporating a chain box or rack back there too.

I use sand bags in my weight box and they have been ok. Very easy to remove as I often use the weight box to carry tools and other stuff I need for the job of the day. I will say there are occasionally times I wish I had more weight than the sand bags provide.

Snrub,

I thank you for reminding me about the grab hooks on the bucket! When I was growing up on the farm, my dad had those welded on every bucket and they were fantastic. I don't have a welder but next time my tractor is in the shop they will be installed!

I carry a 20 foot 1/4 inch chain on the tractor. I have a 3/8 in the garage if a big job comes along. Anything bigger than that is a waste for the HP I have available.

Last edited by Bill D.; 02/26/17 08:51 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!