It unfortunately isn't, I really don't need a D4, but its the smallest they rent. As to the excavator, the e85 is the biggest "mini" excavator that Bobcat builds, its basically between a Cat 308 and a 311. It is likely the dozer could possibly stay ahead of the excavator and given the distance I have to move some of the dirt that may not be a bad thing.

I looked into the next size up excavator (which in my area) available for rental was a John Deere 120 (30k lb machine) and the cost for a month doubled and they required a $20k commercial credit line (kinda weird to me as the purchase costs of the two machines weren't enough to necessitate that IMO).

I don't run them everyday so I may get in trouble for saying this, and granted, the bucket is twice the size and nearly double the HP between those two machines so it stands to reason I could dig a hole faster and a little deeper, but I have been told that it is very likely that because of that distance I still should be OK with the smaller excavator. And given the specs of the machine and my skill level I am not sure that a bigger machine would make double -vs- the increased cost overall.

I do hope someone who runs them more can add more color to that specific point though.