I think what folks are wondering about is the complication of pressure vessels and trying to predict ahead of time how that would work. If the concern is that the compressor should not run very much or will 'wear out' I think most of us have found that using the proper compressor designed for the task will give you years of hassle free and maintenance free service.

The compressor I have, designed by Vertex and professionally sized for my specific need (by a very helpful PB member) has an expected life in 'years' when run 24x7 as long as I take reasonable steps to protect it from the elements and keep the air filter clean. I run mine usually only 12 hours out of any aeration day and only during certain seasons of the year.

I think if you get a compressor designed for the task you will be happy with how simple your set up will be. Get the good diffuser disks, weighted tubing, proper size compressor and you will be good. Of course anyone can have diffusers get gummed up (they claim 'self-cleaning' but still need a periodic soft glove or soft brush treatment) and they can need cleaning and I imagine an air line can freeze up but most people do not report headaches with this.