So, I got a response back from Iowa State University, regarding tilapia research:
---------------------------
"Mr. Perrin,

Your email came to me from the Iowa COOP unit for possible input.

There have a been some studies done on the use of tilapia for filamentous algae control as well as alternative prey base for largemouth bass in southern states. While the smaller tilapia have been able to consume the algae, complete control has not always been possible due to the inherent fertility of the pond as well as algae’s growth rate. In addition, complete algae control will not in itself cure the pond fertility issues as other forms of plankton or vascular plant can still take place as the nutrients will remain in place. Tilapia use as an alternative prey base has not always been successful for a number of reasons.

As for Tilapia not being legal in Iowa, agency staff are cautious about possible impacts of non-native fish on the native ecosystem. Some state agencies have not shared this same concern. For myself, I did my earlier graduate work on grass carp for vegetation control in Texas. At the time, we were informed that this fish would not be able to reproduce in Texas streams due to salinity and water flow requirement. Unfortunately, this species has been able to reproduce in waterways not considered as spawning opportunities based on earlier research. Thus, some state agencies have taken a very conservative approach to the use of any non-native species in management due to unforeseen consequences.

Sincerely,
Joe

Joseph E. Morris, Professor – Natural Resource Ecology and Management (NREM)
Director – North Central Regional Aquaculture Center (NCRAC)
339 Science II, Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011-3221"
----------------------------
Another rather tepid response. I get the impression they think I am looking for tilapia to be a 'cure all' for FA. When I wrote him back, my response was that tilapia could be part of a complete plan for FA management. But, given the above responses, I think I'll just let this issue go.

"Politics": derived from 'poly' meaning many, and 'tics' meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.