I dealt with the COE 18 years ago when wetlands was on their agenda. It took me 3 years to jump all the hurdles. Looking back, I should have done my own thing, built the lake and asked forgiveness if needed. We finally settled the wetlands issue with my having about 4 acres of the 30 ac lake with about 1 ft of water. Our average depth is about 4 feet also. The depth at the dam is about 10.

The other thing I wished to have known, was I ended up with only three islands (two of which fortunately sunk enough to be underwater a foot or two). Now I would not scrape the bottom clean as I did for much of it, and I would have a bunch of submerged islands at different depths and a few above for the ducks and geese to enjoy. I planted some Cyprus trees on my one island. They did great until a beaver took a liking to them. About 100000 trees in the area, and he does a number on my few Cyprus trees.

Word of caution with a shared lake. We make them an invitation and accompany lake only. Meaning, the person can not give permission for anyone else to fish in the lake. He can have all the friends he wants to come over and fish, but he has to be with them at all times. And in your case, make this arrangement for him only. When his body dies, it is over. I use the saying, "it is not about me and you, it is about them."

This is my two cents worth for an Indiana lake. Enjoy.

Tooger Smith