Originally Posted By: peachgrower
I had looked at those, I have a couple old deer feeders that just need the motor/timers. I wanted a texas hunter for Christmas, but I've about decided on aerator parts and just get the american hunter/moultaire motor/timer.

Does it clog up with optimal bg?? Thats what I plan to feed, but can do jr next if needed, but would rather stay with BG. If going that route I would put it on legs out in the pond and just walk out there to fill it. Thinking the aerator would be a better investment and go with the cheaper feeder.

Sorry I missed your question PG. Mine does plug occasionally with Optimal BG, but it doesn't seem to do it anymore than it did with Aquamax 500. As long as you live by your pond and are able to go tap on the feeder occasionally it isn't an issue. I've had the Optimal BG and Optimal BG Jr. mixed in there for about a week now and it seems to feed thru the feeder much better, cast better and is much less likely to plug. If I didn't live by my pond I would fill it with Optimal BG Jr only as I don't think it would plug.

Another thing to think about is getting the non directional deer feeders if you are putting it on legs out in the pond. I don't know from experience, but I'm guessing that would be much less likely to plug than the directional fish feeders. I believe Moultrie essentially has the same units but made for wildlife rather than fish ponds. If you have any other questions I can go looking for you and send you to the product link I am talking about.

What I ended up doing was building a small feeder platform with Tommy Dock parts and putting my feeder out over the water. It isn't terribly costly to do. And I'll bet there are cheaper options than the Tommy Dock parts. Then I put my feeder on that and I use it as a place to sit on and watch the fish feed.

Just a Pond Boss 'sponge'